a few years ago, a dear friend gifted me with a poem for my birthday. not art supplies, not quirky jewelry, not anything expected—instead, she collaged words into an illustration of friendship and joy. although i rarely see her, i untuck this poem occasionally from my desk. i replay the words to remind myself that words matter. love matters. encouragement matters.
today, in the midst of this pandemic, i’ll read this poem before i fall asleep, for words can give us hope.
i don’t have a poem for you, but i do have a list of songs. whenever i listen to the lyrics of these artists, i feel a little more cheerful. i hope that you will too.
- Coffee by beabadoobee
- Everybody Gets a Kitten by Jeremy Messersmith
- We’re Going to Be Friends by The White Stripes
- Best Part by Daniel Caesar featuring H.E.R.
- Stay High by Brittany Howard
- Library Magic by The Head and the Heart
- As by Stevie Wonder
- 65th & Ingleside by Chance the Rapper
- September by Earth, Wind & Fire
- Good as Hell by Lizzo